Sunday, November 22, 2015

A British Thanksgiving and other odd things

This week has been one of those "I'm glad this week is over" weeks.  So I won't go into the whys behind that, instead I will share some positive moments and little things that bring happiness.  

Monday Christmas became official on the Uni campus.  They had little booths with things to buy and eat, a turning on the lights ceremony, and snow making machines!  
 Here is one of several making snow. :)


The effect it gives when you stand under it. 

 if you look you can see it shooting snow from the middle left.  Students thought it was great. :) 

Some of my classmates. from left to right: Gina, Navila, Malak and Manthan. 
The lights on this tree were blinking in time to the music that was playing. 

I needed video of this one, but the lights run down in series so it looks like the lights are dropping like water or snow. 


As you can see it wasn't snowing naturally, in fact about 2 hours later is was pouring rain....

Oh someone asked about the red phone booths, This is the closest I have seen to date: 
It is inside of a construction zone...

I discovered some new flavors of Fanta...This one brightened a rather difficult day this week: 


This is the gym I work out in.  Not too many people in it at 7:30 in the morning.  However late afternoon and evening it is packed. 


Bacon here is different.  These are bacon rashers and as you can see they are quite large. 

I found crumpets.  They are kinda like English muffins.... possible the same thing, but the texture was different.  So I made egg McCrumpets...


Apparently this is the food post week....

 I've always like a good bowl of hot cereal.  Oatmeal here is porridge.  If you add unrefined cane sugar  with double extra thick cream.... comfort food.  

 

Yesterday our ward had Thanksgiving Dinner.  I guess on occasion the British will adopt some American celebrations.  It's not a UK wide thing and no I don't get next week off of classes, but the ward I guess every year about this time will do a Thanksgiving Dinner.  I had someone ask me when Thanksgiving is really supposed to be.  :)  One lady in line turned and asked "are you American?"  My accent usually gives it away...  However the food was divine and fairly accurate with a bit of a British twist.  The stuffing was packed and cut into squares, not sure how they did that. The missionaries of course were having a great time and like me taking pictures of the food.   I got through the line and over to the drinks and was pondering what on earth I wanted when a missionary came over to the table carrying a big pot.  It had orange slices in it and I could see cloves... the scent was heaven.... someone had made Wassel!  This is a family favorite that we make every year for the holidays.  I don't think this one had the limeade, but the rest was in there.  It was indeed the finishing touch to the dinner.  When it came to the desserts there were donuts. chocolate cake, pumpkin and apple pie.  I decided I wanted Apple pie.  The guy who brought it works for Costco.  I guess normally they don't put in the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar on the top.  However since he was doing the baking, he did and set them aside to bring to the dinner!  I went mid line with the topping.  There was ice cream, cream, and custard.  I thought hard about the custard... but since it was a piece of home, I put cream on it instead, just cuz I could.   I shouldn't need to eat for a week..... ;) 

 

So Happy Thanksgiving!  Take the time this week to remember all of your blessings.  Even when life is hard, there is always something to be thankful for.  Tell you family how much you love them and enjoy the time you have with them.  Look for the good in life, even if it's just your favorite drink, that the day is over and you can start fresh tomorrow, or that you are yet alive to live one more day.  Find joy in your journey and give thanks for the blessings however great or small in your life.  






No comments:

Post a Comment