Sunday, March 13, 2016

Trudging on

Trudging. That's what this is. We've hit that time of the semester where you just try to keep pushing forward.  Assignment dates are looming and it seems everyone wants to know your future plans as of yesterday and all the details about how you are going to get it all done.  Easter holiday is a week away, but really it is only a holiday from classes, assignment due dates fall at the beginning, middle and end of the month long holiday.  Two of my modules have finished so I should have more time to work on on the assignments, but somehow it doesn't seem to be working that way.  

Combine that with the fact that the weather is teasing us.  The sun has decided to shine, but it is not quite warm.  If you are in the sun it feels great, but in the shade with a bit of a breeze it is still cold.  You want to shed the coat, but you can't quite.  So you trudge on. 

I have decided that March madness really doesn't have anything to do with basketball, it has to do with your mental state at the end of winter and wishing for Spring. So to combat the drudgery my flatmate and I decided to plan a trip to Scotland during the holiday.  We booked our flight and set up accommodation through airbnb. Now I have incentive to get my assignments done early so that I can enjoy the three days that we are there.  But I still find myself feeling bogged down. 

I'm not the only one who is struggling to push forward.  One of my classmates has been drawing, another one painting.  I have one that has been watching her favorite movie (which is 5 hours long!).  There were about 20 of us that decided we needed to go for ice cream Friday at Sprinkles.  No procrastination happening here.....

My flatmates are the same.  They wander into the kitchen looking like mindless zombies, grab something to eat and and shuffle back out.  Aren't we a fine lot? I find myself distracted by the smallest things.  I have started my next big assignment.  Well, the title is on the page, some of the resources gathered, the article read and highlighted with thoughts of how to attack it, but I tend to stare at the computer screen.... then remind myself of something I have neglected to do and well now is a good to time get that done.... and go back to the blank page, read some in the resources, remember something else I need to do.... yep, working hard on that assignment. 

While off task I took a few minutes to surprize my flatmate.  As it is her birthday, I printed a big banner that I put together on 4 sheets and some birthday pictures and quietly taped them to her door.  I haven't lost my Ninja skills because she never heard me and she was in her room! A couple of my other flatmates came by while I was doing this and I motioned for them to keep quiet.  It was rather fun. 

However, as the deadlines creep closer, I find myself starting to focus a little better.  Nothing like an ugly deadline rearing its head to bring you back around. So this week will be a buckle down, roll up the sleeves, and get to work week.  I have a lovely carrot dangling in front of me and a promise of warmer days and no class around the corner.  I've come too far to throw it all away, so I will face the monster.  Sword in hand, shield up, visor down I trudge forward with a renewed sense of determination.   

No comments:

Post a Comment