Sunday, April 3, 2016

Easter Holiday

I have decided that when you are in school the word holiday only refers to the idea of no classes.  It is by no means a holiday from study or assignments.  However, I am not obligated to be present on campus, so a short trip was in order.  My flatmate and I looked over our assignment schedule and decided that we could squeak out 3 days to take a mini holiday.  After checking prices for transportation we decided to fly to Edinburgh Scotland and spend three days there.  We knew we couldn't afford to take more time off, but a break from the pressures of school was needed.  Our other flatmate that normally hangs with us, didn't feel she could make this trip, so the two of us set off instead.  

Scotland is cold.  It is North so it only stands to figure.  Samar thought it was warmer there than in Southampton.  That may have been due to the fact  that she wore thick tights under her jeans, 2 jumpers, a coat and a scarf along with the hijab scarf.... Then I walked her legs off.  We averaged over 9 miles a day in walking, scouring over the city and scurrying  the surrounding hills.  She had never hiked any sort of hill or mountain before.  So I taught her how to be a mountain goat.... something I'm very familiar with.  I dragged her to the top of Arthur's seat to the very pinnacle where only the brave of heart go.  

In our adventuring, besides hiking Arthur's seat, we walked the Royal Mile to Edinburgh castle, Princes Street Gardens, the castle esplanade, St. Giles Cathedral, Calton Hill including hiking up Jacob's ladder, the Royal terrace, Scottish Parliament, High street, Palace of Holyroodhouse, Old town, New town, North Bridge, the University of Edinburgh, walked the canal, and went into almost every shop we passed.  We didn't make it over to Dean Village, or the actual Harry Potter tour, but did see some of the things that inspired JK Rowling's writing of the first three books. I believe we passed by the cafe where she started writing.  

Edinburgh is a really unique city with imposing structures, sandwiched between the sea and the hills. It has a rough beauty and a sense of strength and imposing fortress.  The city feeling more imposing than the castle itself though its perch on the hill is awesome.  Oddly, The city smelled like corn.  We did pass the corn exchange, and it kinda reminded me of Iowa,( just like Arthur's seat reminded me of the foothills of the mountains in Utah...)but really it smelled of unsweetened corn cakes, or corn on a grill.  For a place whose industry is wool and cashmere, I was confused by the smell of corn....  though I much prefer that smell over others it could have...

It was a lovely three days and we hated to come back to reality.  The fact that the weather is getting warmer and the sun is shining more doesn't help me focus at my computer.  I have two more major assignments due during the holiday and one more about a week after....Sigh, at least I had a few days of respite to try to unwind from the stress of deadlines and study.  I might try to squeeze a day trip in here somewhere before classes start back up.  It makes a good incentive to get the assignments done so I can breathe between them.  Easter is a time of renewal and Scotland was a great place to find it.  

Here are some pictures of the trip from my camera. The ones posted on facebook were taken with my phone.  

  
view from Arthur's seat looking towards the sea. 



Edinburgh zoomed in from the top of Arthur's seat

 the climb to the summit, nearer the top it is scrambling over rock to get to the pinnacle. 

View from the top


 The unicorn is the national animal of Scotland

Above the top row of windows of the building it says "Castle Hill school" Then under them is says " the Scotch Whisky Experience".....

looking from the castle back down the Royal Mile

Castle Edinburgh


view of the Scottish government buildings from Princes street

Part of the Royal mile as seen from Princes Street



 Edinburgh Castle from the Prince Street Gardens. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    Exciting

    Interesting

    historic

    fantastic

    panoramic

    unique

    speechless

    What a fantastic outing. I know you were looking forward to taking this trip. Glad to see you were able to take it. Glad to see you're going full out and living life to the fullest.

    More pictures!

    ReplyDelete