Friday, October 2, 2015

...But don't worry about it right now.....

Well I managed to survive the first week of classes.  I think I am still in one piece, though I am pretty sure I am being held together by stress.  My modules this term are Second Language Learning, Description of Language, Research and Inquiry in Applied Linguistics 1, and Discourse Analysis. It's a good thing I like to read.... cuz most of my time will be spent reading.  So I read, then I read some more, then, well I do a little reading, to follow up with reading. The hardest part of all of the reading is actually get your hands on a copy of what we are supposed to read whether it be electronic or a hard copy. Hopefully it will get easier, I spend half of my time trying to locate what I'm supposed to be reading. And I need to figure out how to read faster.. All of this will result in much writing, but not yet. 

Each of the tutors started class off with what the assignments for the module are and when they are due.  The deadlines are engraved in stone by the University and there are no exceptions.  After that cheery lecture they tell us we have usually two assignments, one major paper and then a "smaller" assignment. The papers are 50 - 60% of the grade and the other makes up the difference.  So I will  write a 3000 word analysis of classroom language, a 3500 word essay, another 3000 word essay, a short essay of 2500 words, a 2000 word text analysis, a data-led analytical task in phonetics and phonology (based on the queen's English...) an oral presentation, a short practical exercise in linguistic description, and a research review.  1/2 of this is due just before the Christmas break and the other half at the end of first term which is mid Jan.  

They tell us to look over the options, try to find the ones that fit into what we want to do for the dissertation so that it all links together.  Then everyone of them ended that with, but don't worry about it now, we'll explain it later, you have lots of time... So of course that only made me worry....

The first assignment is a preliminary assignment which is due Oct 12.  It is to be turned in to our PAT (Personal Academic Tutor) who has not been assigned yet.  It comes with very little instruction, it isn't counted for a score, but a starting point for discussion with the tutor.  It's a short one only 1000 words to get us warmed up.  (That is really what we were told) 

To help alleviate the stress in a positive manner I have decided to join two different societies.  (Aka clubs) the first one is the student section of the Southampton Philharmonic Choir.  It is a group of about 180 voices (30 or so are students from the Uni). They sing Classical choral pieces and perform 2 -3 times a year.  The first performance will be Nov 28 and will be singing Beethoven Missa Solemnis.  So you know something light.... 

The second society that I am joining is the Irish Dance Society.  They have all levels and abilities and a competition group if interested. The different levels will perform in the spring for the dance extravaganza where the different dance groups showcase what they do. They had their tasters tonight and there were a ton of people there.  I'm betting most will not stick with it. It felt good to dance again.  And it was nice to realize I hadn't forgotten  what I had learned.  So it was a positive spot for me in the week.  

When I'm not at those and I feel the need to de-stress, there is a gym at my halls.  So the exercise pattern that I started this summer is continuing for me here.  A good balance is going to be necessary for me to make it through this.  Not to mention the positive effects in health and weight.  I'm finding me again, in many different ways.  

I guess I better get back to my reading.. so I can figure out my writing, but I'm not worrying about that right now.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment