Sunday, December 13, 2015

"Home" for the Holidays

So now that I have mostly adjusted to life in Britain,  I have a two week whirlwind trip back to the states for my daughter's wedding and Christmas.  Time is an interesting phenomena. By the time I had arrived at my daughter's apt., It was 11:00 PM the same day I had left England.  It was 24 hours UK time since I had left my flat to head to catch the coach to the airport.  To say that I am tired would be an understatement. To think that I'm going to relax and rest while I'm here would be another mistake. A Wedding or Christmas by itself is an event, having the one 3 days before they other is... a blessed occasion to spend much time with family and friends. (Not going to mention the assignments I still need to work on that are due mid Jan....). 

I know that I have adjusted to British life because things are comfortably familiar, but oddly different.  Driving or riding in the car is weird.  The steering wheel is back on the left and as a passenger I'm on the right.  When driving I have to actually think about needing to stay to the right, and if I think about traffic and flow it feels strange, even though this is what I have known all of my life.  Roads are huge, people drive way too fast, I can see for miles and it is cold. In Southampton, I was always warm and couldn't quite get things at a cool enough temperature.  Here in Utah I can't get warm.  I've been cold since the flight from Chicago to Salt Lake City.  It is supposed to snow the next three days and again the first of next week.  So I won't be wet from rain, but snow.  My skin and hair are mad that I'm back in a super dry climate again, and chapstick is my best friend.  So far I haven't gotten enough water to drink  to hydrate my system, though I'm trying hard.

It is odd to hear the perpetual American accent.  I actually  had a hard time following what was being said a couple of times, because I had become accustomed to listening to British or second language speakers of English.  People here are more intense but oddly more laid back at the same time.  And loud.    

However, the reception by my children and grandchildren has been worth it.  There is nothing quite like a little child who lights up and yells "grandma!" and comes running over to give you a big hug. :)  Then becomes your buddy the rest of the afternoon, and who will let you do things to help that Mom and Dad couldn't manage to get her to do.  Having them snuggle in your lap like your the best thing since sliced bread is just not comparable to anything on this planet.  Family is the reason I'm here, and they are worth 24 hours of travel and minimal rest.  (I won't say sleep, because I'm not sure how much actually sleep happened on the planes...) 

I know the trip will be over in a blink and I will be back on an airplane to where I currently live.  Not sure where to call home anymore.  Home is where your family is, it's where your heart is and mine straddles two countries halfway around the world from each other and I love them both.  




No comments:

Post a Comment