Saturday, January 30, 2016

Research Methodology

So my program of study is MA in Applied Linguistics Research Methodology or MAALRM.  Am I the only one that when I look at the acronym sees the word alarm? Or is that a twisted arm...? I am hoping it will not be a cause for alarm as this semester it lives up to it's name as it prepares us to do research... this summer... so we can get the degree.  

With a title of research methodology what would you expect to learn?  Yep, methods for doing research in applied linguistics.  Now that we have the overview out of the way, it is time to get down to the nuts and bolts of the program.  The program that I am on is also considered the first year of the IPhD.  (Integrated PhD)  What it means is that my core classes are with the PhD students.  The only difference is that I get to write the master's dissertation, and they will start their doctoral thesis.  No, I did not get that backwards, the British did.  Or did we change it along with spelling and pronunciation just to be different, not real sure..... I digress.... 

There are three of us on the MAALRM module and 9 IPhD students. So my three methodology classes are very "cozy".  One of the PhD students in the first class on Monday was a bit put out that there were 3 MA students in the class.  I'm sorry, didn't mean to be a lower class student here... however when I'm done with all of this I will have more experience than you will, but whatever.... It also means that most of my friends on the program are not in my classes.... time to make more friends.

So we have a Research, Design and Practice module, Quantitative Methods, and Qualitative Methods.  That should cover the bases... then the two elective modules are Language and Intercultural Communication and Language Ideologies in a Globalizing World. Two of the methods courses are only 6 weeks.  I'm looking at the calendar figuring that because the Easter holiday is a full month in the middle of the term, the professors are bound to make sure we can't enjoy it.  Sure enough,  one assignment is due 4 days into the vacation, one 3 weeks in and 1 due the week after.  Two of these are 100% of my grade.... However, the classes will be finished as well so I guess I get the good with the bad, but it makes for ugly. 

It's not as bad as it sounds.  Most of the assignment work is preparation for and/or part of the dissertation.  The point is to help us understand and know what research methods will be best for the study we want to undertake and how best to use them.  One of them is to actually complete the literature review part, which will also help to focus our research and know where the gaps are and the the best ways to approach our topics. I'm actually excited for the modules and the skills and knowledge to be gained from them.  Hopefully, with planning I can still enjoy the Easter Holiday without it just being a holiday from going to class.... so if I apply method to my madness and maybe even a little madness to my method, I will be ready to start my research in a methodical and methodological way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment