Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Waves of the Sea

I suppose technically it really isn't the sea, but the two rivers that run to the sea, however they are big enough that you can't see the other side.  Unless of course the Isle of Wight counts...  

Monday two of my flatmates and I decided we needed to celebrate surviving the first semester.  So Tuesday afternoon we head out on foot to the docks.  My one flatmate had been with a classmate and said she knew how to get to a really lovely place along the docks.  So we sallied forth.  Now I'm a shutterbug and there are parts of Southampton that I haven't been able to capture on "film" yet.  So I keep stopping to snap pictures and they keep walking. I'm used to that, my family does it to me as well.  One of them looks at me weird and asks why the pictures because it wasn't like this was someplace new.  Well, it wasn't where I had been before and there was cool stuff they were just walking past!  well like these... It is was is left of medieval Southampton that wasn't destroyed in the war.  So you have all the modern and then pieces of wall or castle interspersed among things, which I think is really cool, but I'm a bit of a nerd that way.  





 
So we get  to the docks as the sun is starting to set.  Definitely worth the walk. We stood there and watched the waves, enjoyed the sea breeze, even though it was cold, and let all the tension and stress wash out on the waves.  




As we were standing there watching the waves my one flatmate asked "So what do you think of when you watch the waves?"  No one answered but continued to watch.  Later she said so you want to know what I was thinking watching the waves? I was thinking about the axis and the gradient..."  My other flatmate said , "oh.... I was thinking about emotions on the waves...."  Yep.... we've been working way too hard..

So now that we were chilled to the bone we decided we needed to go get food and get warm.  So,yep we went to get ice cream! 

 
Well, a hot crepe with warm chocolate with fruit... and ice cream. :)  This was my treat to myself for making it through! 

The rest of the week was well, with the sea.  We had two days of blue skies and sunshine, so I took advantage and went to see sights with two friends (one has a car, so that's a plus. :)) 

In short, I went to Chawton where Jane Austen lived, Romsey to see the Abby, and several places along the coast including Highcliffe, Barton, and Mudford Quay at Christchurch.


 English countryside

Jane Austen home in Chawton

thatched roof cottages




 graves of Jane Austen's mother and sister
 Romsey Abby






 Highcliffe castle
view of the sea from the castle grounds








 the lighthouse at the end of the Isle of Wight called the needles (the rocks to the left of the lighthouse)


  I spent hours looking at the sea, watching the waves, feeling the "breeze" as it came off of the water.  I found it very therapeutic and relaxing. I am now ready for the next semester.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love your pictures. I really enjoyed this post. Then again you know I love castles and medieval things.

    Hope school is going well for you.

    After I read this post I went to you tube and found bird songs and ocean sounds to play. So I'm with you there in spirit at least.

    ReplyDelete