Sunday, January 3, 2016

And... I'm back

After 22 hours spent traveling, I am back to my flat in England.  I am grateful I was routed through San Francisco to London, because any flights on the east coast were cancelled due to weather, so that was a major blessing.  Temperatures here are 30- 40 degrees warmer (F) than in Utah, with rain instead of snow. I'm OK with that.  

Part of my heart is still with my family, but I am happy to be back.  I am learning to really love it over here.  The foreign is becoming familiar and things that used to be familiar were kinda foreign to me back in the states. I found myself missing the British accent, and on first arrival back in the states actually struggled with listening to Americans talk.  I needed a knife to eat, and missed some British foods more than I have missed more of the American foods.  My cultural heritage has become clearer to me through all of these travels.  

It was funny when my children introduced me for two weeks.  "This is my mom, she is visiting from the UK."  Some expected me to be British with an accent.  One person asked my daughter if she was British....  Oh the assumptions people make! However, the introduction was comfortable, because the UK is currently my home, and well, I can accept that.  

Since being back, I have been diligently working on assignments.  I had even less study time than I had hoped in the states, and now I need to make up for literal lost time.  New Years Eve and New Years day I spent doing school work.  I didn't even leave my flat.  However, I think I am ready for an oral presentation that is due tomorrow, with another assignment 90% completed, topics for the other three and a quasi game plan to get them done on time.  The good news is that after the last deadline (Jan 18) I have a free week. :)  Definitely need to plan some kind of sightseeing in there.  

Life is good, I am looking forward to a glorious 2016.  I'm excited to be learning and following my dreams.  I know the road ahead is long and hard, but that is where I am happy.  So bring it on new year, there are fabulous adventures to be had and wonderful things to learn.  My head is high and my shoulders squared to the task.  It is going to be a year like none other.  Look out Britain, your American daugher is back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment