Sunday, July 17, 2016

New old friend

Contradictory right?  Well, not really. And no it's not a statement on age either. Maybe it's an old new friend.... Have you ever met someone and you feel like you've know them, even though it's impossible? Maybe it was because we have a mutual "friend" but I don't think that is it.  Sorry, let me explain.  

My older brother lives in Mississippi.  His family is friends with a family who the mother is from England.  Often he'll talk about what I'm doing or show her my blog posts cuz he figures she would get a kick out it.  It just so happens that this friend was heading back to the UK for the month of July and thought it would be fun to meet me.  So my brother gave me her contact information for the UK and when she would be here and told me to get in touch with her to see if we could meet up.  So last week I called her up and between her time schedule and mine we decided that this last Monday would be the best time to try and get together.  We decided to meet some place neutral, like Windsor.  Being the castle fan that I am jumped at the chance to go see another one, especially the Queen's favourite residence.  

So I got up somewhat early Monday morning and took a train journey into Windsor.  I spotted her immediately when I got off the train (mind the gap) but she hadn't seen me.  She was easy to spot because she had her teenage son with her who is almost 6 foot and she's my height 5'1''.  I have a couple of son's like that so I don't find it an odd pair at all, just easily identifiable.  Her son seemed less than thrilled about anything.  Part of that is the age and partly, well can you blame him?  Would you want to spend the day with two middle aged women? At one point we told him he was our bodyguard and his reply was that was all he seems to be any more.  But I told him if we were cute and young he wouldn't mind so much, at which he had to smile (rare feat indeed!) 

I had a lovely time.  We got there in time for the changing of the guard (marched up the street with bagpipes) and then changed out all of the posts around the castle and grounds.  One of my choir mates was working security into the castle so that was fun.  Because the Queen was not in residence that day we could see the state rooms as well as the doll/doll house collection and the church.  The place is huge!  But like most castles no pictures could be taken inside the building, so they are imprinted on my memory. 

We had fun chit chatting and getting to know each other.  I found we had much in common (maybe that's why she's good friends with my brother as well) and I had a very enjoyable day.  We ate at the Duchess of Cambridge Pub and found a nice bakery later for that something extra.  Time went screaming by and before long we needed to part ways.  I hope she found the day as enjoyable as I did.  Hopefully we can keep in touch, Me in her country and she in mine. New friends are always good, but ones that feel like you've known them are even better.  



  






So....alligators inside??
This is where the moat should be or used to be. 



 made out of sand.....

No comments:

Post a Comment